FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Why are people complaining?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    shannon thier
    Participant

This is for actual scientific data and is NOT the equivalent of the Lego land version of DNA tests like Wilson Panel, etc..

This is FREE. Yes, there’s a waiting time like there are in practically all cumulative data collection in order to generate the most accurate data.

You get what you pay for. Was it your answers sooner? Pay between $99-$1,999. OR live with your dog for various ranges of months and get your results which are the closest thing to accuracy that exists.

I waited and found out my Mars DNA sample was off, thanks to Darwin’s Dogs., which uses a plethora of more breed standards than the other tests.

Take your pick….$79 for a likely inaccurate test, or request a FREE test and have patience. Not to mention this is an a critical study that looks for not only breed, but also conglomerates the data to see what breeds or mixes thereof may result in potential health and/or behavior accuracy. The more dogs in the study, the more data collected.

So while you get what you pay for in terms of waiting time, the results you do get are of therhighest accuracy, help us learn how genomes can affect behavior. If you’re willing to wait, you’ll get a ton more info than is provided by the present day retail companies.

So basically, buy a Ferawith problems today for up to $2k, or wait a year or two and get one shiny brand new one with many more features for free. Ther chose is yours.

shannon thier
    Participant

* IGNORE ABOVE RESPONSE DUE TO ERRORS

This is for actual scientific data and is NOT the equivalent of the Lego land version of DNA tests like Wisdom Panel, etc..

This is FREE. Yes, there’s a waiting time like there are in practically all cumulative data collection in order to generate the most accurate data.

You get what you pay for. Want your answers sooner? Pay between $99-$1,999. OR live with your dog and the fact that you’re helping the entire dog community for various ranges of months and get your results which are the closest thing to accuracy that exists.

I waited and found out my Mars DNA sample was off, thanks to Darwin’s Dogs., which uses a plethora of more breed standards/ markers than the other tests.

Take your pick….$79 for a likely inaccurate test, or request a FREE test and have patience. Not to mention this is an a critical study that looks for not only breed, but also correlates the data to see what breeds or mixes thereof may result in potential health and/or behavior accuracy of your dog and dogs like yours. The more dogs in the study, the more data collected.

So while you get what you pay for in terms of waiting time, the results you do get are of the highest accuracy, help us learn how genomes can affect behavior. If you’re willing to wait, you’ll get a ton more info than is provided by the present day retail companies.

So basically, buy a Ferarri for $99-$1999 today, or wait a year or two and get one shiny brand new, top of the line one with many more features FOR FREE, and simply enjoy your dog like you always have been.

Ther choice is yours.

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

Amen! I get so frustrated seeing all the complaints. I can’t help but wonder how many people are donating anything at all? People can complain and get mad but without the funding they just can’t do anything about it. I’m sure they would love to process all the tests and get all the results as well. I just hate it for them. They have to get so tired of reading all the complaints.

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Thank you both for the support! We really appreciate it!

kate battista
    Participant

Agreed. I would rather wait five years and get really in depth info that could be used to help future dogs than get a stab in the dark after 5 weeks of waiting.

And I love people who think swabbing their dog’s mouth and filling out surveys is “work.” It’s only slightly harder than playing Farmville.

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

Haha. Kate that’s funny. What dog owner doesn’t love the opportunity to talk about their dog…..I was filling out comments on most of the questions…..what else can I tell you about my favorite creatures in the world!?!?

casey stanton
    Participant

Shannon,

(in total agreement on everything you said in terms of the whiners, I do get a weird pleasure out of reading their ‘outrage’ though. :P)

Did you already get your results from Darwin? One of the mods said in another post that one of my dogs is in one of the first rounds and I should get his results in a few months – very excited!

I haven’t done a commercial dog DNA test – could you describe the difference between your Mars result and the Darwin info? I’ve been imagining they’ll tell me like, 50% chihuahua, 50% lab (or something like that). But your comment sounds like there’s more to it?

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Casey,

Yes, we plan to upload the first round of results soon! 😀

As we speak we are working on setting up the interface to upload results to participant profiles! We will be able to provide participants with personality trait information, base on the surveys filled out. As for samples that have been sequenced, we are also going to be uploading Breed Calling results (ancestry of your dog).

We plan to keep working on and improving our analysis to provide participants with even more fun and interesting information to come!

Thank you very much for your support, we are so excited to share what we have discovered!

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Hey Casey,

I can elaborate on that! We talk about the general approach in our MuttMix survey FAQ: http://iaabcprojects.org/faq/ In fact, many of the dogs you see in the Pup Quiz are Darwin’s Dogs whose owners provided photos and videos for part 1 of the quiz. We are planning a part 2 which may include new mutts!

Linda and Diane from our lab also wrote an IAABC article on this, called “How Accurate are those Dog DNA Tests?” It’s a lot more detailed than the FAQ, but has great illustrations.

In addition to breed percentages, we will also be giving extra information: how confident we are for each breed call, how confident we are that a dog is mixed or purebred, and whether we think your dog may have a breed that is not in our reference panel. We also do not hide missing data — if the algorithm says a portion of your dog’s DNA is uncalled for any known breed, then we tell you that portion.

Also, as we improve our reference panel, your dog’s results may become more refined over time. Some breeds are under-represented and we will be looking for more to add to the panel, by reaching out to owners through Darwin’s Ark.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login