FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark village dog

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Victoria-Curran
    Participant

Hello, Our sweet Girl Scout, was rescued from the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico – she was alone, no Mom or other puppies around. We orginally thought she was a heeler mix but as she has grown this is clearly not likely. The 2nd version of Darwin’s Ark lists small bits of German Shepard dog, cattle dog, pit bull, chihuahua but none of these fit well and there conclusion is she is a village dog. Makes sense to us. Would love to see pictures of other dogs here that have tested as village dogs. Not sure how to load pictures in the forum though

Jennifer
    Participant

I have no Darwin’s Ark dog links to provide, but have you seen Embark’s page about American Village Dogs? It has links to the full Embark results for a dozen randomly selected dogs who’ve tested as 100% AVD with them, as well as for a dozen AVD mixes they’ve tested.

https://my.embarkvet.com/breeds/american_village_dog#dogs

I sometimes browse a subreddit devoted to sharing DNA breed test results, and “rez dogs” posted in there not infrequently test as partly or entirely AVD, which as you say makes sense. Others test as multimixes of various breeds, or as mostly or entirely “Supermutt” (i.e. matches neither any known village dog populations they have on file, nor any pure breeds on file, and therefore probably does descend from purebreds but it’s too far back for reliable matches).

Pam-Coleman
    Participant

My Dog, was tested a Village dog with the closest ties to German shepherd. (Test was done through Embark)

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

Oh wow. That’s fun. My Luna (the white dog with the spot on her eye) has 13 different breeds in her, as well as 26.5% unknown. She really doesn’t look like any of them. That’s also why I love her. I love a mutt! They’re so unique. I notice personality traits of her breeds more than the appearance. Her second largest percentage is beagle…….she looks nothing like a beagle, but man does she have a beagle nose and when she gets really worked up she has a beagle like bay.

lila-mls
    Participant

Very interesting post. This is my first visit here. I found so many interesting things on your blog, especially the discussion … Thanks for the post! I would add more information about [url=https://cpasmieux.xyz/]cpasmieux[/url]

Kathryn-Prince
    Participant

I have a South East Asian village down, he’s not been tested as embark don’t test UK based dogs but he came from Phuket in Thailand along with his sister and has all the traits of a Thai ‘dingo’, the link has some interesting reading on village dogs and why testing them does not really give great results. It’s a shame as I would like to find his mix but I’m pretty sure he’s 100% self chosen dog breeding! No pedigree at all I expect just basic model dog, he’s perfect this way haha but not easy to train other than with food…

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hello all,

We are so excited to have these dogs enrolled with us!

Even though we do not have “dingo” or “village dog” in our reference panel, these dogs are still very important, and interesting to study.

Results for your dingo or village dog will likely come back as breeds in our panel that have similar ancestry, and even a portion of unknown.

As the research continues and more of these dogs are sequenced with us, we hope to expand on our results and how we can report the ancestry back to owners like yourselves.

We have actually written up a post about “non-dog breeds” and village dogs, which some of you may find interesting!

Check it out at:

What is a dog breed?

juanka-linati
    Participant

Thanks Brittney

Niki-Wise
    Participant

I have a dog, Nefret, that is an American Indian dog. Her breeder has gotten dogs from Indian Reservations in the US, Mexico, and Canada. Your dog may be one of these dogs. They are descended from the dogs the American native people brought with them when they moved from Asia to the Western hemisphere via a land bridge or sailing over in boats. Nefret’s breeder, Kim LaFlamme hasn’t joined any kennel clubs because they breed for looks and he breeds for health and temperament. Because of this the DNA companies haven’t recognized them as a breed and don’t classify them. They may come up as Village dogs, Kelpies, cattle dogs, or other primitive breeds.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login