FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Two and a half years now??

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Sarah,

I apologise for the long wait. I do understand that it is frustrating, we too wish we had the ability to process these faster.

I can promise you this is not a bait and switch, it is Citizen Science with the best intentions to better understand canine behavior and genetics. We have a full team of scientists working day and night on this project. Dr. Karlsson has done, and continues to do, incredible work in the dog world.

With that said, we are not a business like many other genetic tests out there, this purely research running off of grant money.
    Since grant money has become tight, our team works constantly to keep apply for more. We wanted to provide participants with another option so that they could get their results faster without waiting for our grant money. This option, the Explorer Lever, is not meant as a ‘bait and switch’ but allows those who would like to fund their dogs sample to do so, ensuring it gets sent out for sequencing quickly and providing participants with another option. This option eliminates the wait time associated with the Free Participation enrollment and we hope it will reduce frustration as less samples are waiting for grant funding. We still plan to sequence the free participation samples, it just takes time, since we rely on limited grant money.
    Unfortunately that is how research works, but we are determined!

Again my apologies for the wait but we do appreciate everyone that has enrolled.

lori martin
    Participant

I paid the 99.00 months ago.. still nothing?? Doesn’t even show it was processing?

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Lori,

I recieved your email today and have sent an update with the current status of your sample, if you don’t see it in your inbox please let me know.

Thank you,
    Shannan Skitch

Currently filling in for Brittney who is away for a few months.

kathy holland
    Participant

I enrolled my dog in 2016, fairly early in the study I believe. I completed all of the Surveys at the time and received my DNA kit. I returned it immediately and got the results about 2 years later. So yes results do eventually arrive. I was more interested in the Surveys and where my dog fell on the spectrum than in his actual DNA results so I didn’t mind the wait. I find this entire study fascinating!

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

Kathy I agree completely. I can assure you guys that the results are not questionable. My Luna has 13 breeds in her and it makes so much sense because no one could even guess what breeds she might have. There have been several guesses but they’re all across the board and no one has the same guess. No other panel would’ve given me that many breeds. My Dexter is half Jack Russell terrier and half Australian Cattle dog and we knew is was ACD and terrier. No doubt. The wait is worth it to help the science. It is a long wait but you do get a free DNA test for your dog. And you get to participate in some pretty cool science too. I’ve loved learning from this. Too bad people don’t rank dog studies higher and give them more grant money. I’m sure it’s frustrating for them as well to have science hindered by funding.

kathleen matson
    Participant

We also have been waiting nearly three years for Mandy’s DNA results. My enthusiasm about her participation in this program has diminished.
    Mandy is doing very well. A sweetheart. She Will be seven in another week! To be able to pay to have these results would be my ideal. As a senior citizen, unfortunately, it is not an option for us right now. Sadly, that’s one aspect that drew me to this research opportunity. I thought my sharing of all of Mandy’s data would be rewarded with DNA information about her that would help keep her as healthy as possible. This is true, I’m sure, for us all!
    I do hope the grants/funding for this program, that has the propensity to help all our beloved four legged family members, now and especially in the future, opens up successfully.

Erica-Weis-1
    Participant

Hi, I sent back our paid for kits in October 2021, but am not seeing that they were received. Does this only update when they are tested? Or did the kits go missing?

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Erica,

Apologies for the longer than normal wait time. We are still recovering from the delays of the past year. Both of your dog’s samples remain safe and stable. They are in line to be sequenced in the next few days! 🙂

We will send you a notification email once results are uploaded to each of their profiles.

If you have any other questions regarding your dog’s samples, please feel free to email us directly at support@darwinsark.org

Thank you,
    Brittney

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login