FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Saint Bernard Genetics: Face markings(Mask) and Rear Dew Claws

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chere peshek
    Participant

I recently got my first male St. Bernard puppy from a breeder. Do you know if there is a genetic cause for the rare half mask? Also my puppy has fully formed rear dew claws but his front dew claws were removed shortly after birth. I have read that the rear dew claws are not uncommon in the breed. Is there a gene specifically for the rear dew claws?

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Hello Chere,

The classic mask seen in St. Bernard dogs is a pattern called “piebald”. Clarence Cook Little, a dog geneticist, discovered in the 1950s how this coat color pattern is inherited and described it as the “S” spotting locus. Later, three groups of scientists independently found the gene responsible for this pattern: MITF. Elinor Karlsson has found that differences in the DNA around this gene, MITF, seem to result in differences in the extent of the piebald pattern.

While I cannot say for certain what causes the half mask in St. Bernard’s, I think the gene MITF may be a good candidate for its genetic basis!

The genetic cause for hind-leg dew claws has been attributed to a few different changes in the gene LMBR1. This gene controls hind-leg development. It has also been involved in human polydactyly — that is, people having extra toes!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Kathleen

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Great question Chere, and thank you Kathleen for your knowledgable reply!

Just so our participants are aware, Kathleen is a graduate student in the Karlsson lab researching canine genetics!

chere peshek
    Participant

Thank you Kathleen.

Great information. I appreciate the quick response.

It gives me a great starting point for learning about the inheritance of the mask pattern.

Chere

amy canoles
    Participant

Thank you Kathleen. This is interesting.

My mixed breed is the first dog I have seen with all 4 dew claws.

How common are dew claws in dogs? My late dog, also a mixed breed, only had 2.

jhon-leo
    Participant

Take dogs out for an extended walk or some playtime maximum high fine as quickly as they have removed praise your domestic dog on every occasion they get rid of the exterior. praise or supply treats but recalls to gain this at as soon as after they’ve completed now not after they come over again internal.

This step is crucial, due to the reality profitable your dog for going outside is the total way to educate what is predicted of them. before worthwhile, ensure they’re finished.
    puppies are except problems distracted and in case you reward too quick, they will neglect approximately to entire until they’re lower back inside the house.

For more information click the link below ……………….

how to house train a dog / House training is the 1 you really want to need //

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

So interesting! One of my mixed dogs has all four dew claws and the other only has the front two. I never really thought about dew claws at all until I had two dogs with different ones.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login