FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark results seem to be spot on

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    patricia castagna
    Participant

I thought the following might be of some help in your project. Based on your DNA analysis my dog is 24.8% Boxer, 23.9% Golden Retriever, 15% spread between 4 different breeds and 36.3% unknown. Previously, I had had my pup’s (Zoey) DNA analyzed by a company called “Royal Canin”. Your results seem to fit nicely with their analysis. Royal Canin breaks down their analysis by each of Zoey’s parents. One parent per their analysis was a result of a pure breed Boxer and a pure breed Golden Retriever. This ties in nicely with your analysis of the percentage of Boxer/Golden Retriever. The other parent of Zoey was far more mixed.
    Some of the characteristics Zoey exhibits appear to me to be similar to what I’ve noticed of Boxer’s but she is no retriever. Also, she is extremely fast. Most people who see her run are in awe. I would gladly provide you with further information concerning her characteristics if that would be of help. Oh by the way she is a wonderful dog.

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

That’s interesting. Did you think she was those breeds before the DNA tests? I am curious about how many owners are close or right about what breeds their dog is. I had mine nailed! He’s like 30% Australian Cattle Dog and then 3 kinds of terrier. He was easy though. He looks exactly like that…..but more so acts like it! Lol.

patricia castagna
    Participant

I do not see to much if any boxer or golden in Zoey. That said, people who own these breeds often mention that there are some appearances of those breeds in her. She is not a large dog. She weighs 35lbs . Both boxer and Golden’s I believe are heavier and taller. Her hair color and coat are similar to the boxer but she doesn’t have the boxer face. The most prominent characteristic of Zoey is she runs like the wind. Often people have asked if she is part whippet. She is a sweet dog with over the top energy.

Jennifer
    Participant

Boxer mixes are often very fast, if they inherit the breed’s sprinter’s legs and fast-twitch : slow-twitch muscle ratio without its impeding top-heaviness. Like Corsos and Danes, Boxers descend from coursing mastiffs used to hunt wild boar, which required both lots of speed and lots of brute strength (boars fight back), so their build had to strike a balance between two opposing needs. A mix, though, could potentially wind up inheriting the speed traits but not so much the strength ones. Of course, her speed could also come from something else in her ancestry–it’s just a thought.

patricia castagna
    Participant

Thanks Jennifer that’s really interesting stuff. You’ve peaked my interest in boxers so I am off to google boxers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login