FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark My dog not listed in any of your reference panels

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joanne-Winship
    Participant

I am told my dog looks and is a Bedlington Terrier, but he has no papers. This breed is not listed on any of your reference panels. Does that mean his breed genetic makeup will not be identified? According to what I’ve read about the breed, they are related to the Whippet, Dandie Dinmont Terrier, and Otterhound which only the Whippet is listed. Will it show a percentage of Whippet and the rest unknown?

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Joanne,

Even though we do not have his breed in our reference panel (yet!), we would still love to have him participate to the fullest!

You inclination is correct. Once your dog is sequenced, the results will likely come back identifying breeds that are related to the Bedlington Terrier, and might also have a good portion of “unknown”.

As the research continues and more dogs provide DNA samples, our reference panel will grow. In order to add a breed into our reference panel, we need at least 12 non-related individuals with sequenced data. When a new breed is added to the panel, we re-run all our participants data and will update the results.

If you know others with Bedlington Terriers, please let them know about our research! It would be wonderful to have this breed in our panel.

If you have not checked our our blog post regarding our results and updated reference panel here are the links below:

Updated Panel

An update to Genomic Breed Mix results

Understanding the Results

All about ancestry: your dog’s results and what they mean

lila-mls
    Participant

nice post.thanks

Trisha-Brown
    Participant

I have registered Catahoula dogs. Have you sequenced any of this breed?

Thank you,
    Trisha

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Trish,

We do not yet have Catahoula Leopard Dog in our reference panel. The more Catahoula Leopard Dogs that enroll and are sequenced, the more likely we will be able to add that breed! We need 12 unrelated purebred individuals enrolled and sequenced in order for us to add them to the panel.

Even though we do not yet have your dogs breed in the panel, we are more than happy to have them participate. As of right now, if your dogs were sequenced, the results would come back as calling the most related breeds. But please know, that results are updated if any changes are made to the panel.

Thank you very much for enrolling both of your dogs in our research. We are excited to learn about their unique behaviors and personalities, and to see what they are hiding in their DNA!

Trisha-Brown
    Participant

Hi Brittney,

Thank you for your response. Since you don’t have any others, would it take longer to be considered for sequencing or do they have the same chances as the more popular breeds?

Thank you,
    Trisha

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Trish,

Just to be clear, your dogs DNA sample is not “de-prioritized” just because we do not yet have the breed in the panel (yet). Your dog can certainly still be sequenced and is very valuable to our research! The results will likely come back with breeds of close ancestry and maybe even a portion unknown. Once CLDs are in the panel (and for any other breed for that matter) we updated our results.

We do indeed have some Catahoula Leopard Dog samples in our study participating on the free kit waitlist, we just do not the funding at the moment to sequence them. If enough of the dogs are funded by owners, (at least 12 unrelated) then we could work on adding them to the panel! 🙂

With so many breeds that we could add, Catahoula Leopard Dog have just as equal a playing field as other breeds. Once we receive funding, it really all depends on the grant, so I cannot say which breed(s) would be our next focus.

Trisha-Brown
    Participant

Hi Brittney,

Thank you for the information. I appreciate research you are doing.

Thank you,
    Trisha

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login