FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Lancashire Heelers / Increase in already known DNA?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    casey stanton
    Participant

Hello! I just saw my dog gene profile updates – very fun!

Background, when I adopted my dog Nigel they said he was mixed breed with lancashire heeler. I have no idea how they came up with that, but when I google them (having never heard of them before), he looks exactly like them but with some little mixed breed differences. But body type, face, tail, even general coloring – it appeared spot on to me that he was mostly that type of dog.

So the first round of DNA came back with almost 50% of Nigel’s DNA as ‘unknown’ which made sense to me because Lancashire Heeler wasn’t on your breed list, with the update, he has almost no unknown DNA but lancashire heeler still isn’t on the list and the other breeds have gone way up.

So my questions (which is prob difficult for you answer specifically)

1. What are the chances that he would look VERY similar to a specific type of dog which isn’t in the profile… but doesn’t actually have any meaningful amount of their DNA?

2. Why would the percent of him being pomeranian, for example, have INCREASED? Shouldn’t the already known DNA have stayed the same and just the portion that was ‘unknown’ change? How did he gain more pomeranian DNA if that one was already tested for?

3. Is it possible that without having Lancashire heeler in the algorithm, it would try to sort the unknowns into other camps? (I am a lawyer, forgive me if that’s an insanely unlikely scientific / statistical situation). Like, if some of the ‘unknown’ DNA, was actually pomeranian, but the program didn’t recongize it the first run, isn’t it possible that if another breed was available to sort into, it might recognize DNA that was improperly categorized the first and second run?

Sorry for rambling! I love this study 🙂

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

Casey, I have never heard of a Lancashire Heeler either. I had to google it and oh my gosh so cute!!! I had very similar questions with my dogs update. If you go to the forum thread I started called Change in Results you can read the response Kathleen gave me regarding my dog Dexter’s DNA being misidentified as other terriers and how they’ve been able to identify them as Jack Russell Terrier. I don’t know if that’s the case here but seems like it could be. I’m also fascinated with the appearances of the mixed breed dogs. My Dexter looks exactly like the Australian Cattle Dog and Jack Russell Terrier mix that he is. My Luna however…….I have no idea where she gets her appearance! She’s the white dog in my picture. She’s Australian Shepherd, Beagle, Jack Russell, Australian Cattle Dog, Border Collie, American Pitbull, Collie, Boxer, Pug, English Shepherd, Shetland Sheepdog, Brittany, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. She has the softest rabbit like short hair and her ears are not floppy but not straight up……one is semi-floppy to the side. I guess when you mix up that many breeds you get something that’s not really any of them.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login