FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Just got VERY LATE results, dog died in 2019

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    marcia benes
    Participant

I just got an email (11/12/2021) stating my dog’s results were in. She died at the age of 19 in 2019, and I don’t even remember submitting the results. Insult to injury, her breed – Coton de Tulear – isn’t even listed as a choice. She was identified as mostly chihuahua. Coton de Tulears are native to Madagascar and were first imported to the US in the 1970’s. The descend from the extinct Tenerif dog, and as such are related to Bichons, but with a pinch of terrier in them, I am sure. Today the breed is divided into two – the Malagasy Coton, which maintains a variety of coat colors and both long and short legs for good genetic diversity, and the AKC show Coton de Tulear, which is being selected for an excessive all white coat. Tracking these differences would be useful. Too bad. You ought to include Coton de Tulear in your reference listings.

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Marcia,

Our sincerest condolences on your dogs passing.

We thank you very much for enrolling her in our study, and apologies for the long awaited results. Your dog was participating for free, meaning her sample was supported by our grant funds, which take time to acquire.

Unfortunately, Coton de Tulear is not yet in our reference panel, but as more dogs enroll and are sequenced with us, we do hope to be able to add the breed. Currently when a breed is not yet in the panel, results will yield the most related breeds and will even show portions of “unknown” in the results. As the research and reference panel grows, we will update your dogs results and notify you of any changes.

We greatly appreciate your participation, thank you.

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

I am so sorry for your loss! It truly is one of the hardest things to have to go through. My husband doesn’t understand why we would even have dogs when it hurts so bad to lose them. But I’m sure you agree, I couldn’t imagine life without them. My parents dog is waiting for a kit and he is getting older. Hopefully we still have a few years but you just never know. 19 years is an amazing life! I would likely purchase a kit for them if our time was getting short. I hope it would be a way to kind of keep him alive and as we learn about the different breeds we can remember him and his unique personality. I find it really fascinating to learn about the different breeds and where they came from. My dog is half Australian Cattle dog and I learned about that breed and how they were actually the result of dogs being bred in ugh dingos! He was listed as three different terriers but they ended up becoming Jack Russell and he is half and half. It so fits his personality too. As new breeds get added it will be a chance to learn more about him. Even if it is so compare and see all the ways she wasn’t like those breeds I hope you are able to do the same. Because even if they have the exact characteristics of their breed they are still so very unique. I’m so fascinated with how the different breeds have such different traits though. Especially in my other dog who is mega mutt with 13 breeds in her. Did she have any chihuahua traits? Or is that similar to the Coton de Tyler’s breed? My Luna had beagle listed as her 2nd most prominent breed. I couldn’t see it at all by looking at her. And then I realized that’s where she got her bayish howl and her nose that won’t stop! It’s been fun for me to learn about all 13 of her breeds.

Erin-Askeland
    Participant

I, too, am still awaiting results over a year later and my dog has since passed away. This was also a paid test (and I paid for two others previously), not a free one, and I’ve heard no updates. It makes me a little sad and frustrated as I did reach out, but was just told there is a delay waiting for a group to test. Is it accurate that 20 tests have not been submitted in a year? This seems not possible…

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Erin,

We apologize for the delay and any frustrations it has caused. I am glad we were able to sequence your other two dogs and will personally email you regarding your third dogs sample.

As for your question regarding us sending out 20 samples in a year, that is not the case. We used to have to wait for a batch of 20 samples to come in, and then we could send out that batch to be sequenced. We now have to wait to have at least 96 samples prepped and ready to be sent out together in a batch to be sequenced.

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Brittney

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login