FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark How long is the wait time on this?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    jamie wagner
    Participant

Also, again, I would like to make it EXTREMELY CLEAR that the I FULLY SUPPORT the research. HOWEVER i do strongly disagree with how they are going about opening up to more projects (tick and cats at the moment). They need to be focused on the samples they have first. NOW IF this is multiple research projects being conduc5ed by various groups with separate funding and different grants, then that needs to be clarified on the site as well. As this is what outraged me the most.

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Jamie,

No worries, and thank you for your support! I also wanted to clarify what I mentioned earlier about batches sent for sequencing: those who donate will not wait for their dog’s sample to be run. If there are still spaces in the batch, those get filled by Free level participants, without delaying the run. So, my main point is that, with us now accepting donations, we expect the processing of all samples to speed up.

I can comment on the tick project — indeed, it is separate from Darwin’s Dogs, in the people involved and the funding. The common threads shared are lab (under Dr. Karlsson) and Darwin’s Ark as a platform for participation. The leading lab member on the tick project is Gaurav Chaunhan, another graduate student. The first phase of tick collection has actually happened last year, and the project is not currently accepting samples. When it does open again, it will be seasonal.

I’ll take note on making the differences between projects (funding, people involved) more clear on the website! In general, grants have specific designations for how the funding gets spent and on what, so there should be little-to-no overlap.

jamie wagner
    Participant

Thank you for the clarification. I do have one other question. One of the stories on another thread truly touched my heart. Is there a way where one can donate to help sponsor their pets sample to be ran via donations?

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Great question Jamie!

We are working on making that happen! For now though, you can email support@darwinsark.org and let us know who in particular you would like to help out and we can manually do it from there for you.

robyn hamel
    Participant

So I understand all of this but the question still remains how long? I am just curious as my sample has been processing in March. I am fine with waiting for the free offer as i have already had DNA testing done but i was curious how they compared and wondered if there was a timeline for the free folks (Lola was processed at the dog festival in Somerville last Fall)

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Robyn,

Your dogs sample is being sequenced now! You can see the status on your dogs profile and it will change as it moves through our pipeline.

When a participating for free, there are a few things that we take into consideration when choosing a sample to go out for sequencing. The grant money that we have is one of the biggest factors. Right now we have money to study allergies, so if your dog has allergies then we can fund that sample to go out. Behavior is another factor, if you dogs behavior is at an extreme end of the spectrum that is interesting to us. Of course we need baselines and controls, so we do also pick at random. There are many other things that can affect when a sample will go out for sequencing, and that is why we cannot provide and exact timeline to everyone who is participating for free.

We do absolutely want to and have the goal to sequence all sample that come into us, it is just that the timeline will vary. I hope this helps, it is a great question!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login