FORUM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    courtnie-quinton
    Participant

When I get the dna back, will it tell me if my dog is a certain breed if he is more prone to an illness or disease?

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Courtnie,

Yes, we will provide you with your dogs Breed Calling information, which will be able to tell you what he/she is a mix of. We hope to in the future tell you about illnesses and disease, but as of right now the methods for this are not up to our standards. We want to be able to provide you with valid information and in the animal world, the standards are not up to par with what is being done in the human world.

The Founder and our Principle Investigator of Darwin’s Ark was apart of a wonderful article explaining the difficulties we face today with pet genomic and health testing.

The article is in Nature and is titled Pet genomics medicine runs wild

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-05771-0

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

I would think though that you could use the breed information to look up illnesses or diseases that those breeds are prone to. I know that doesn’t really mean as much but it could be helpful for a vet to know if something came about one day in the future. It might give them a starting point to look at.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login