FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Confused

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    melissa edwards
    Participant

I was happy to participate in this and I knew that there was a possibility I might get the DNA results from the test kit. Has that changed? One has to “ donate “ $99.00 now to get results? That has a bait and switch vibe and I hope that’s not the case.

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Hi Melissa — no bait & switch here! Every user is in queue for a free DNA Kit once they’ve have completed at least 10 surveys for their dog, with the DNA processing funded by grant awards as has always been. The donation level kits expediate DNA sample processing and will help speed up research, independent of grant funding.

melissa edwards
    Participant

I’m not talking about the kit itself. I’m talking about getting the results back from that kit after it’s been sent in. My kit was sent in about 2 months ago. Do I now need to “ donate “ $99.00 to receive the results? Will I and others receive results if we do not give money to Darwin’s Ark?

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Yes, all results and data will be shared with participants, regardless of donation status.

melissa edwards
    Participant

Thank you.

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Note for new users who haven’t gotten a kit yet: you will need to sign up to get on the waiting list after you complete the 10 surveys under “My Laboratory”. This isn’t going to change how long you wait, but you do need to tell us you still want one!

casey stanton
    Participant

I think my question might be similar.

For one of my dogs, it says his DNA is being analyzed, but when I click that link it prompts me to a $1999 (!!) donation – yikes!

So, nothing has really changed, but if I want his info faster I can donate the 2k ?

sheryl winkler
    Participant

I completed all 21 surveys a few months ago and thought at that time i was automatically going to get a dna kit. I still havent gotten one. I logged on now and saw it said to click to get on waiting list for kit. Was i already on waiting list from when i completed survey or only just now?

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Casey —

The Trailblazer Level donation is a special case in which your dog’s DNA would be sequenced at very high depth, different from the analysis we perform on most dogs. Fewer than 1,000 dogs in the world have ever been sequenced in this way and data from these dogs is incredibly useful for research. For dogs sequenced in this way, owners will receive a special certificate and recognition for great scientific contribution on the website.

As your dog’s DNA is being analyzed, results are the next step for your dog. There’s nothing you need to do at this time. We hope to get breed reports up on the website soon — I’m personally working on this step. Then, plenty more research will follow, with your dog contributing to that research!

Sheryl —

Yes, you’ll have to click again for the wait list — I’m sorry for the inconvenience. We will be sending out an email about this situation to everyone soon. We used to send kits out by hand, but have since switched to a third party shipper. On the plus side, kits should be sent out much more regularly now!

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Also, Casey — it looks like your dog (who is in the final stages of analysis) will be among the first batch of dogs to receive results on the website, which should happen in the next few months. You’ll receive an email when the results are up.

connie strauss
    Participant

Other then sending in a swab of my dog’s saliva, this experiment will not effect him at all, is that correct? No one’s going to come to my house and take him away somewhere for some crazy testing are they?

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Connie —

Yes, a saliva swab is all that we need! The instructions for its proper use are here: https://darwinsark.org/swab/ . Everything else we collect is from users telling us about their dogs through online surveys.

casey stanton
    Participant

Kathleen Morrill – Omgomgomgomgomg!

Thank you!!

kate battista
    Participant

” it looks like your dog (who is in the final stages of analysis) will be among the first batch of dogs to receive results on the website”

Interesting… Is there a way to see where we are in the queue or is that info only on your end? Just curious. I sent my kit in April 2016 but I know others did it even earlier.

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

The trailblazer level is so fascinating. I wish I could afford to do that. I’m so excited about this survey and super fascinated by it! I wish I could contribute that much (both $ and scientifically by getting that in depth analysis). I know it will be many years but I look forward to seeing what comes from this study.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login