FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark "Carolina dogs" in reference panel?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jennifer Jennifer 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    stephanie paladino
    stephanie paladino
    Participant

I’ve been wondering if the project has reached out to Dr. I. Lehr Brisbin and some of the other people who have been focused on, and in some cases, breeding from known lineages what have come to be called Carolina Dogs (aka American Dingoes, Dixie Dingoes, etc.). These are the wild-caught dingo-like dogs, mostly in undeveloped areas of the southeast US, that Brisbin and others hypothesize might be a distinctive ‘village’ or ‘pariah’ type population, not descended from European breeds but rather more related to dogs that might have accompanied human migrants from Asia over the Bering Straits. There has been some genetic study that supports that thinking (and includes other distinctly American breeds from Latin America), though not yet definitively, and it wasn’t the kind of genetic work that Darwin’s Ark is doing (unless there has been more recent work on it) I think it would be really interesting, and potentially really helpful to the questions being raised about these dogs, to have a large enough set of them in your reference panel, from known sources like Dr. Brisbin, to see how they compare genetically. My dog is one that I really think was a Carolina Dog mix based on both looks and some very distinctive behavioral traits described for them. She turned up with 30% unknown heritage in Darwin’s analysis (plus some other heritages that I really don’t see behaviorally or physically, and find myself questioning – i.e., were those really Macy’s results or did they get mixed up with someone else’s?). But if you could get samples from Brisbin and a few other folks that have since been breeding them, the results could really help shed some interesting light on their thinking. Thoughts?

Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Participant

Have you seen the studies from Shannon et al (2015) and Ni Leathlobhair et al (2018)? Those are the two most recent genetic studies to include Carolina Dogs, and both concluded that all CDs tested were of predominantly European ancestry, with a range of 0-35% pre-Columbian/Asian ancestry at the level of individuals. Which is still a high average of pre-Columbian/Asian ancestry for an American dog type from outside the Arctic/Alaska region, but nonetheless paints a pretty different picture from what Brisbin had originally speculated, back in the days before this kind of testing was possible. AFAIK, the only other studies relevant to the CD are a couple earlier, more tentative ones that had looked only at mitochondrial DNA.

Shannon et al: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4640804/
    Ni Leathlobhair et al: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326211519_The_evolutionary_history_of_dogs_in_the_Americas

I know Embark tests for Carolina Dog, FTR. They are fairly generic-looking dogs even when pure, in the sense that any number of mixes with a good dose of spitz and/or herding type in them could wind up looking quite a lot like one.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login