FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Breed Results

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    annie lang
    Participant

Could you add an “Other” option to I do not agree with the breed results? I have and English Shepherd and that is not an option. So right now, since I can not put “other” my stated breed is now defaulting to to wrong breed. So obviously funny! but incorrect. But I am sure many “collie breeds” went into the making of ESs.

jessica hekman
    Keymaster

I have an ES too!

You can actually just type whatever you want in to the breed list – if it’s not an option that’s available, just type it anyways. It will go in!

ann duncan
    Participant

My rescue dog’s breed was identified as an Alaskan Huskey by the Vet. His mom was an Alaskan Malamut but sire unknown. The DNA result identified him as purebred Akita (90.4%), 3% Chow, and remainder Unknown. I think the DNA results are very wrong. What are the chances of DNA samples getting mixed up in the laboratory?

david ford
    Participant

My bet is that “mom” was misidentified 🙂

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Ann,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our team is looking into it now and we will get back to you shortly!

jessica hekman
    Keymaster

For what it’s worth, Ann, this ended up being a really interesting problem. We are pretty close to having it figured out – should be able to get you an answer tomorrow. But in short, yes, this sample is not from your dog. You were right.

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Ann, the issue has been resolved, and I have emailed you with details.

Thank you very much for reaching out, you know your dog best! 🙂

kelly edler
    Participant

I got results for my 3 pups and I don’t agree like Ann said with any of them. I know my Dachshund/Chihuahua mix came from one Chihuahua and the other was Dachshund. So I don’t agree with the percentages at all. My two other dogs definitely have Corgi in them and my Ellie, definitely has mostly Beagle from her looks and definitely nothing like what breads you posted. I agree with Ann are these wrong or off for some reason???

kelly edler
    Participant

Were my Dogs DNA samples okay and not faulted???

kelly edler
    Participant

Could my Brodie and Ellie have the other type Corgi that is not in your panel yet? The Cardigan Welsh Corgi? It would be greatly appreciated for a response back and looked over.

kathleen morrill
    Keymaster

Hi Kelly,

I checked out your dogs’ results and feedback, and they do appear to be the correct DNA samples. Here are some possibilities for why the percentages and breeds may not be as expected:

For Beanie, you are correct that the Dachshund / Chihuahua ratio isn’t showing as a perfect 50/50. Do you know whether both parents are purebred Dachshund and purebred Chihuahua? Chihuahua can be a fairly diverse breed, so his parent may be a Chihuahua from a rarer lineage.

In Ellie, there are a lot of breeds detected at a low percentage. Ellie’s Beagle ancestry, even at 5%, could be shining through in her appearance and masking other breeds. It’s also possible that the greater percentage of Ellie’s unknown ancestry may come from a breed that is not yet in our reference panel.

If you have information on Brodie’s background and family history, feel free to share it through the feedback form on his page, too. I’m curious where the Corgi comes into his history. We do have only Pembroke Welsh Corgi in the panel, but this tends to be detected even in the Cardigans.

Thank you,
    Kathleen

kelly edler
    Participant

Kathleen,

I appreciate you getting back to me in such a fast manner! I am not sure if Beanie’s parents were pure breed. Looked that way but maybe not. Ellie and Brodie were rescues I saved.
    Ellie I got at 6 weeks and came from a hoarder :(. And got Brodie from someone who had got him from another person and didn’t have much info. I guess was most surprised about Ellie and Brodie because of how the look and what the vet and I guessed and thought. I’ve had people think was chow chow, but doesn’t have the black tongue and when we looked at corgis his face looks exactly a corgis and his coloring is like a golden retriever I wish I knew though because everyone says he’s so pretty and looks like a fox….will my pups DNA results still be qualified to be updated as you add more breeds?

Thanks again,
    Kelly

vivian flynt
    Participant

We too have English Shepherds & were a bit dismayed to see them listed as mixed-breed dogs. Another QA in the forum explains that it’s likely they received that label because their higher genetic diversity numbers bumped them out of consideration of being a pure-breed. Over 100 years ago the breed’s founder, O.O. Grant, insisted upon preserving the breed as purpose-bred dogs. He might have been a Missouri hill farmer who was forced to drop out of grade school to work his family’s farm, but the man knew animals. I’ll take healthy & diverse over unhealthy & constricted any day!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login