FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark behavior changes in intact females

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dawn miller
    Participant

Considering this study will look at behavior tendencies in connection with genetics, I have to mention that the she-dogs also have to fluctuating hormones. My females is 13 1/2 months old and going through her 2nd heat. A couple of weeks prior she started acting differently. Instead of my brave pup I had a shy gal (unless she was playing her favorite game). If she had been a human I would have said she was an angsty teenager.

There are some reported health benefits with leaving dogs intact, especially while they are actively growing. I don’t intend to breed my gal so she will be altered, most likely after her third heat. I had considered having an Ovary Sparing Spay but with these mood swings, I think a full spay just may help her be a confident gal year ’round. Has anyone noticed this in their females, in particular the mood swings? All my previous females were spayed young or before I adopted them.

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi car2ner, we are certainly taking into consideration the sex of the dog and if the dog is intact or not. It is very important that owners have this information in the profiles. Hormones definitely do impact behaviors in dogs, especially females as you have noticed. Great post, very interesting!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login