FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark What kind of information will we get about our dogs?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    katie singleton
    Participant

When we get the results back, what will we get? My dog is a pure bred Saint Bernard. Will you be checking for genetic diseases that could play a role in his behavior? To see if being purebred makes a dog act a certain way? Will you confirm his breed?

Just wondering what I have to look forward to with the results! So Excited! We should be getting our kit soon, and Saint’s have tons of drool, so you should get a great sample!

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Katie, great questions, but a hard ones to answer as of right now. We have now are approaching 12,000 dogs enrolled in our study and just don’t have the ability to genotype all of the dogs right away. This means that we will soon have to prioritize dogs based on our scientific need. Not all dogs will be chosen, but in the future we want to analyze all of them! As for the results, yes we will be providing participants will all data that comes out of this study. When results are ready we will be posting them to participant profiles for viewing. We will be able to detect variants related to genetic disease, but we are not veterinarians, and cannot give any further information about it. With the data, we will only be able to tell you what is genetically present and potentially effecting behavior. Also, please note that we are not a breed test. We are looking for correlations between genetics and behavior, but if the data reveals more such as ancestry we will provide you with that information. Thanks Katie!

becky bowen
    Participant

If you are not going to choose our dogs to genotype, will you tell us? I keep hoping, checking my dogs’ profiles and they both say “not yet genotyped.”

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Becky, we will certainly inform participants. We have not yet gone through to determine which dogs will be prioritized. When we have chosen we will certainly let participants know. We wish that we could genotype all of the dogs that are enrolled, but we just don’t have the resources/money to do so right now. Like I mentioned before though, in the future we certainly want to assess all of the dogs enrolled!

becky bowen
    Participant

Thanks! I would love to know what exactly one of my pugs is. Supposedly she’s purebred but I really think somewhere back there something else got mixed in!

brittney logan
    Keymaster

We hope that the data will be able to tell you this, but I do want to clarify that our research mostly focuses on genetics and behaviors. It is not just a breed test. If the data does reveal ancestry about your dog, then we will certainly provided that for you! We believe that this data is yours, and we want to share everything we find with you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login