FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Questions about sample collection and social media posting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    kristoffer raymundo
    Participant

Hello! I had few questions that I couldn’t find the answers to and I’m hoping someone here can help.

I had trouble trying to collect a saliva sample from my dog; she would not let me keep the swab in her mouth for thirty seconds (she had it in there for maybe ten seconds) before she just refused to let me put it back in her mouth. Will we be notified if the sample we provided is insufficient? If so, will we be asked to provide another sample?

Also, and this is a more broad question, are we allowed to post pictures/information about this study on social media? Things such as sharing the study or pictures of the saliva collection kit.

Thanks!

jesse mcclure
    Participant

Thanks for the question – 10 seconds should be fine. 30 seconds is what the swab manufacturer recommends and doing our best to meet this goal is good, but we’ve tested the swabs with less time in the mouth, less time after eating, etc, and they are surprisingly reliable. So I’m not worried at all about 10 seconds.

But if any sample cannot be used, you will be put back in the list to receive a new kit (eventually). As for social media: by all means, post about us everywhere! Brittney might be able to chime in here on how to best “tag” us or whatever it may be called on all those sites. There’s a reason she coordinates our social media: I have no idea how that all works, but Darwin’s Dogs is on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and probably several others I don’t even remember (I manage our github, that’s my flavor of social media).

brittney logan
    Keymaster

You are more than welcome to share our research with others, and yes we would love to see pictures your dog! You can post a picture to our Facebook wall of your dog with the DNA kit, or just any cute picture you like of your dog. You can also use pictures on Instagram and tag us there @darwinsdogs or #darwinsdogs. You can find our social media links at the bottom right hand corner of this page to get you there. Have fun, we are excited to see our participants pictures!

rachel long

I’ll have to go follow you guys on Instagram! 🙂

susan williams
    Participant

I must apologize, I screwed up the collection process and contaminated the sample. Could you please send me another kit for Tippy Toes?

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Susan, can I ask how it was messed up/contaminated? If it is to far gone, yes we can send you a new kits!

nancy frankenfield
    Participant

It has been months since I submitted the DNA kits for my 2 dogs…when might I hear something about your findings?

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Nancy, we are still collecting samples from participants and waiting to run more samples on the genochip. It is going to take time with this research since it is such a large scale project. We cannot yet say a date for when the results will come out, all we can say is that it will take time and we ask for your patience. When results do come out, we will be posting your dogs result to your Darwin’s Dogs profile.

We have a Monthly News Letter with updates about the research. This months newsletter will be available on this webpage shortly! The best way to stay informed about this research is to check this webpage, the news letter and follow us on social media. We are eager to see what the results of this research bring, but as I mentioned it will take time. We appreciate your patience and support! Thank you!

elizabeth tagaloni
    Participant

Hi there!

I recently swabbed my dog and due to the holiday madness (Thanksgiving/Black Friday) I forgot to send the sample out. How long after the swab is the sample good for? I’d hate to send in a sample that was already bad.

jesse mcclure
    Participant

As long as the swab was put back in the blue liquid (a stabilizing solution) and closed up it will be perfectly fine. These samples are perfectly shelf-stable at a range on normal room temperatures for a long time.

elizabeth tagaloni
    Participant

Awesome, I’m sending it out today. Thanks so much!!

susan williams
    Participant

Nancy, I knocked the swab on the floor where it picked up various particles of stuff. Sorry. I tossed the whole thing, I didn’t want you to test the DNA of whatever came in off my shoes. Will I get a new kit? I promise I’ll be super careful…

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Susan, we will be able to send you a new DNA kit soon. Accidents happen, no worries. Thank you for your participation!

al skinner
    Participant

This may have been covered before or is posted somewhere on your site but what are the specific directions for conducting a correct DNA swab procedure? I’d like the instructions written out in English — the pictogram “instructions” on the swab packaging are less than helpful, except to tell me DON’T GET THE FLUID ON YOUR HANDS!! (Why, is it toxic?). Please be as detailed as possible, even with what may be obvious.

brittney logan
    Keymaster

Hi Al,

First I want to share with you the video instructions that we provide on the consent form. It will show you the collection process visually an go through the steps verbally. I would highly advise watching the video first and then reading through the instructions provide! 🙂

http://darwinsdogs.org/kit.php

1.) Take the swab out of the packaging, making sure to not touch the sponge at other end
    2.) Place the sponge in the dogs mouth where saliva naturally pools for 30 sec
    3.) Take the sponge off of the tube by twisting the green cap ( avoid spilling solution)
    4.) Place the sponge into the blue/purple solution and twist tight (solution is non-toxic, stabilizes DNA)
    5.) Invert the test tube for 10 seconds so that sponge is soaked by solution
    6.) Seel tube in bio-collection bag & send back to Darwin’s Dogs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login