FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Interesting Behaviors

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    patricia castagna
    Participant

Zoey cleans her paw by putting her whole paw in her mouth.

kate mckinley
    Participant

Neba croons. He learned to howl from the malamutes down the street, but he has his own style: eyes half closed, head up, lips slightly puckered. When he crooned along with the guy practicing trumpet under the overpass, it stopped traffic!

Lucy is so obsessed with catching her tail that she’ll lose her footing and not stop. She just rolls away across the yard.

scott hodges

Lucy loves her toys. When I come home, she grabs as many as she can in her mouth before running up to greet me. When I call her in from the back yard, she takes her time figuring out how many she can take in with her in one trip. When she visits with other dogs on our street, she will try to steal their toys and take them back with her. She’s a material girl!

Scott, my American Pit Bull Terrier does the same with toys and greeting people!

Interesting behavior my APBT does is she likes to roll on bugs. She wont eat them or paw at them she just sniffs and rolls. Silly pup.

dawn miller
    Participant

I bet that is a sight to see Scott, when Lucy comes with her horde. My big boy grabs something to hold when he greets us. He always wanted to grab an arm and holding a toy or shoe or leaf, helps him deal with the urge and leaves our arms tooth free.
    I had a little mix that loved one toy in particular. She always knew where it was and always had it in her mouth to greet us when we came home. 

scott hodges

Yesterday, she must have been going for the world record. Getting ready to rain, I’m standing at the back door calling her, and she is running around the yard grabbing up toys. Three in her mouth, then she had to drop them all and “repack” to fit four in, then she manages to carefully snag a fifth on her bottom teeth. Unfortunately, while running up the stairs, two of the toys fell out, so she only got a score of Three for the day.

She loves the ones that squeak when you bite down on them the most. She’ll get one in her mouth, then run after her little friend Paul Revere, squeaking the toy the whole time. You can tell that the toys just make her feel comfortable and loved. But they also serve as icebreakers. “Hey, you’re home! And look! I have a toy! Isn’t it amazing!? Here, let me jump up and put my front paws on your arm and we can talk about it!”

julie castle
    Participant

People seem to enjoy my dog when she picks up her leash and goes home. She would do the same thing when we tried to teach her fetch. She’d go get the ball and run past us heading for home. We’d find her sitting in the yard waiting for us. Now that she is older she’ll run just about anywhere while holding her own leash. Much better about fetching the ball to alpha dog.

Her thing now is running to neighbor’s house and stealing golf balls. She now has her own box of a dozen, marked with her name so we’ll know when the ball she’s playing with is contraband.

She is also a pick pocket. She’ll stand against my leg while I’m doing chores and without my knowing taking out whatever poop bags I may have in the pocket. She’s really gotten good at it.

Like Scott’s dog, Tinsel loves her toys. Her favorite are squeaking toys. At night she engages in Schnauzer Tag where she runs from one end of our travel trailer to the other with a toy in her mouth. She drops that toy and picks up another when she completes one round. She’s lately upped the ante by making the toy squeak for the entire run. As she likes to give all her toys equal attention, sometimes she’s not squeaking.

dawn miller
    Participant

pick pocket, that is cute (and sometimes annoying, too, I suspect). I watched a video of a trainer who encouraged his dogs to “sneak” the reward snack out of his pocket. These were dogs training in obedience competition and he wanted them to feel confident and even a bit cocky, enjoying their training.

dierdra mcelroy
    Participant

Louis, my 3 year old Dutch Shepherd, is a spinner and flank sucker when in his crate. It is almost impossible to arrest the behavior when driving in the car despite strong obedience. He also has a very unique issue that has been evaluated by neurologists. It could appear to be a seizure with overall body rigidity but I can induce it. He remains conscious throughout the 20 minute duration. When the episode clears and his muscles regain control he is 100% immediately back to normal and wants to work again. No lasting side effects. It was suggested that he has EIC but something in my videos around his eyes suggested to the neurologist that it isn’t EIC. He looks like a “stiffy goat” honestly :(. The neurologists said there aren’t enough dogs with this disorder to have studies going. He is super high drive and intense. Louis wants to work 15 hours a day but taking him in the car is not fun. He is a nationally ranked dock diver but can’t play frisbee or an episode will happen within ten minutes. He also trains at schutzhund and cancer detection. Without tons of exercise he develops other behavioral issues. The neurologists suggested euthanizing or long terms seizure/tranquilizer type meds.

stephanie paladino
    Participant

My dog had a kind of breath-pant language. She had some specific pant-sounds she would make at specific times, like when she was excited that that we might be going out. The differences were in the sound she made (one was a very round hoh-hoh-hoh) and in the speed and rhythm of repetition. Often, when I would do the particular breath-pant back at her, she’d respond with more. I found myself sometimes initiating the pant to indicate we were going out, and she would often respond back. Another thing: early on, when I first had her as a young adult dog, I was woken up by yowling from her belly so loud that I thought there was another animal in the living room with her. The vet suggested I feed her twice a day, and giving her a breakfast took care of that. But if there was ever a time when she went beyond some time threshold without eating, particularly in the morning, her belly would start to yowl and squeal loudly; her response was always to go out and forage for a coupe of wild plants – one, a Verbena, the other a Solidago (goldenrod), both of which are used by people as digestive herbs, or a specific grass (not any grass). Getting food into her always calmed the belly yowls within a few minutes, but it interested me that she never seemed to make the connection – on her own, her first impulse was always to go find plants, rather than just eat food.

candace peterson
    Participant

Here is a crazy thought. Maybe your dogs are seeing ghosts. I live in a 1909 farmhouse and we have even watched his toys raise and splat down on the bed right in front of us. Have you ever seen a dog running scared out of a room for no reason? Sure, there are many things that can grab a dog’s attention, but I think that they are psychics, and I believe that they read minds, so why stop there?
    Yes, I accept that this sounds a bit off. Consider it a suggestion, nothing more.

susan gallagher
    Participant

Well, I think I have you all beat – except maybe for the chihuahua who lifts her whole back end to pee. My Peanut chews his food. One piece of kibble, one blueberry, … . Whatever he’s eating gets picked up one piece at a time and is thoroughly chewed before he swallows. The other dogs do their usual vacuum cleaner imitation and finish long before Peanut does.

kristen johnson 2
    Participant

My Dexter loves to roll in towels! Clean, dirty, smelly, wet, etc. It doesn’t matter. He rubs his head and neck all over them while keeping his butt in the air before rolling over on his back and wiggling around while biting and pulling at the towel. It’s pretty adorable! He will pull them out of the laundry baskets and my gym bag. He is very aware when someone gets out of the shower. He’s quite obsessed. It never gets old!

brieanna hughes
    Participant

My dog exhibits a behavior mentioned earlier in the feed that I think might be more common than I realized; he rolls completely on his back and chews/ plays with bones/toys unsure down with his paws in the air, sometimes using his front paws to turn or “hold” the toy

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login