FORUM

Home Page Forums Darwin’s Ark Dognition results

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dawn miller
    Participant

I finally finished the Dognition games with Patton. Their results were that Patton is a Socialite. Basically he has a strategy of working together with or for me, to get hidden treats, less than having to puzzle it out on his own. Putting my dog through the series of games helped me see that he has strategies he sticks with. Given two cups with treats hidden underneath, regardless of if I point at a cup, stare at a cup, or even show him where the treat is, he will check the cup on his left first and then will check the cup on his right.

That is similar to how he does nose work in the house, he has a pattern that he follows and eventually he finds the target. I see now that I need to give him more puzzles outside of the house to figure out. But it is nice to know that he does indeed take his cues from us when making decisions. That is important.

Anyone else sign up for Dognition?

jennifer stewart
    Participant

I’ve never even heard of it until you mentioned it, but I went to the website and I’m fascinated! I think I’ll sign up Sparta for an assessment. Did you see that Dognition also has a Coursera starting January 16th? (https://www.coursera.org/learn/dog-emotion-and-cognition) I’m going to sign up for that as well as it’s about dog psychology. I learned a lot about dog psychology from “The Other End of the Leash” and I’m always interested in learning more. Thanks for bringing Dognition to my attention!

dawn miller
    Participant

I’ve taken the Dognition course on Coursera. I had already read the book before finding out about Coursera. It really is good food for thought.

becky bowen
    Participant

I’m taking the class now–have 2 more weeks. It’s really interesting. I highly recommend it!

brittney logan
    Keymaster

In the future, Darwin’s Dogs will be creating an App that will be able to collect data about dog behaviors when in various situations and activities. Currently we are working on determining which activities work best for participants to conduct at home, and what behaviors the dogs elicit during the activities. As of right now, we have a local focus group in MA helping us to determine which activities are best for the App. We will certainly let participant know when the App is ready for release!

dawn miller
    Participant

I’ll look forward to that. Part of me is excited about the opportunity to help us understand and work with our dogs better and part of me likes bragging about my pooches.

dawn miller
    Participant

By the way, When I signed up for Dognition it came in a combination with Embark DNA testing. The results for Patton have come in and they are pretty comprehensive. Would you like me to share the results? If so, where would you like me to send the data?

brittney logan
    Keymaster

I agree, I think everyone enjoys bragging about their dog! 🙂 As for the results, in the future it would be very interesting to take a look at them, but right now we just don’t have the place to store it. Thank you for the offer though!

dawn miller
    Participant

ok, just let me know if and when

rachel long

I hadn’t heard of Dognition until this post, but it sounds fun and fascinating!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login